Netiran>Who's Who>Who's Update>Detail>Mr. Bijan Namdar Zanganeh
Minister of Oil
Netiran, Mar. 1st, 2004,
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
M.S., Civil Engineering
-Academic member of Khajeh Nasireddin Tousi University, 1977
- Construction Jihad, 1979-1980
- Deputy for Cultural Affairs of the Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance, 1980-1983
- Minister of Energy: 1988-1997
- Member of the Economic Council, minister representing the president, 1989-till present
- Member of the general assembly of oil, gas and petrochemical companies, 1989-till present
- Member of the Market Regulating Committee, representing the cabinet ministers, 1988 till present
- Member of the Expediency Council, by a decree of the Supreme Leader in 1996
Major Initiatives in Executive Posts:
- Actively involved in creation of the Construction Jihad
- Active participation in deepening the cultural revolution at university
- Active participation in drawing up and formulating plans in accordance with the needs and requirements of the Islamic Republic of Iran while in the post of Deputy for Cultural Affairs of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
- Efforts to establish a center for collection and preservation of documents relating to the Islamic revolution of Iran and publishing the great and massive collection of speeches and guidelines of the late Imam Khomeini, Sahifeh Noor
- Offering valuable services to the population of deprived and remote villages and outstanding contribution to drawing up the organizational charter, executive procedure, educational and training programs of the Construction Jihad and promoting and publicizing this popular establishment and its goals and services among the public and introducing its constructive role in attainment of the economic independence and improvement of livelihood of the rural population, 1983-1988 as the Minister of Construction Jihad
- Massive efforts for reconstruction and rehabilitation of country’s water and electricity industry in the aftermath of the 1980-1988 Iraqi-imposed war and the damages caused to the industry in the Iraqi attacks as well as total revival of the industry, 1988-1997, while serving in the post of Minister of Energy
Scientific, Research and Education Record:
- Member of the academic staff of Khajeh Nasireddin Tousi University, 1977 till present
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Water and Electricity University, 1991, till present
- Member of the academic board of Razi Medical University, 1991 till present
- President of the Board of Trustees of north western universities (including universities in the cities of Orumiyeh, Ardebil and Zanjan), 1977 till present
- Launching the Center for Collection and Preservation and Publication of cultural revolution documents and compiling and publishing the speeches and guidelines of the late Imam Khomeini, Sahifeh Noor
Political and Religious Record:
Active participation in political and religious movements of university students and continuous struggle against the regime of the Shah, leading to the victory of the Islamic revolution in 1979
Career Highlights: During his university studies, Zangeneh played an active and continuous role in religious and political activities. While fighting against the Shah's anti-Islamic regime, he did not agree at all with leftist elements. He regarded success in combat against the past decadent regime in dependence on the existence of religious figures. After the victory of the Islamic Revolution, Zanganeh was appointed as a faculty member, and at the same time played an active role in the great movement of the Construction Jihad. While teaching in the university, he continued his executive and cultural endeavors as well as his cooperation with the Construction Jihad.
While in the Ministry of Islamic Guidance, he made efforts to establish a center for collection, preservation and publication of written, audio, visual documents concerning the Islamic revolution. One of the steps taken by this center was publication of a great work of the Imam' statements and guidance entitled "Sahifeh Nour" (page of light).
He held this post until November 1982, then, at the invitation of the Construction Jihad officials and by order of the Prime Minister, he was appointed a member of the Central Council of this institution.
Zanganeh received a vote of confidence from the Majlis as the first Minister of Construction Jihad on Feb. 24, 1983, and retained this portfolio until July 21, 1989. Zanganeh is a faculty member of the Technological University. He got married in 1979 and has two children."